Chorus Concert – Behind the Scenes

Easton Ours

The Kennedy Junior High Chorus, a group with members from 6th to 8th grade, had their first concert of the year at Kennedy on the night of Wednesday, November 14th. Fourteen songs were sung in total, with 6th and 8th grade both singing four songs, 7th grade singing five, and the Kennedy Singers, an extracurricular group of chorus singers from all three grades, singing one song. The concert was announced by Mrs. Prerost, Kennedy’s assistant principal, and Mrs. Wukitch, one of Kennedy’s music teachers conducted the concert.

The theme of the concert, weather, was expressed in a variety of songs between the three grades, such as songs about snow, thunder, rivers, and wind. The concert ran through the three grades in ascending order, with a short break to allow the Kennedy Singers to sing the song that they had prepared for the Veterans Day assembly, which was the Friday prior to the concert.

The sixth grade choir sang the four songs Listen to the Rain, In Winter, Thunder, and Erie Canal. In contrast, the seventh graders sang five songs, the only group to do so, which were Blue Skies, Lightning, Snow is Falling, Harvest Moon, and Riversong.

The eighth grade chorus sang the following four songs in order, Who Has Seen the Wind, a song that captures the feeling of wind blowing through the trees, When October Goes, a song dedicated to the nostalgia of childhood and of past autumns long gone, The Wide Missouri, a river based love song that has constantly overlapping vocals, and The Storm is Passing Over, an upbeat gospel song that evokes the feeling of having faith that all of your troubles will pass.

To many of the performers, this performance was a success. One such performer was Anna Sokolowski, an 8th grade member of the Kennedy choir. To Anna, the concert met her high expectations for her first 8th grade concert, “I really loved the chorus concert because even though I’ve been in chorus since sixth grade, this is the first concert of my last year here, so it was really exciting to finally be in the eighth grade group that got to sing at the end.  Plus, I loved most of our songs, so I found it really fun!”

Mrs. Wukitch, much like Anna, also thought that the choir’s first concert was an overwhelmingly positive experience and commented on some specific things the choir did well in the concert, “The KJHS fall chorus concert was a huge success!  All three grade level choruses sang songs about the weather, as well as songs about the changing seasons.  Sixth grade amazed the audience with two soloists performing in “In Winter”. The 7th grade chorus surprised the audience with the changing dynamics in “Lightning”, and “Who Has Seen the Wind”, sung by the 8th grade chorus, created the perfect fall to winter atmosphere.” Mrs. Wukitch also brought up the special performance of the song sang by the Kennedy Singers, “As a tribute to Veteran’s Day, the Kennedy Singers sang “Blades of Grass and Pure White Stones” (referring to Arlington National Cemetery). Congratulations to all of the students who were involved in the fall chorus concert!”