State Science Olympiad Competition

Sruthi Kotlo, News Reporter

Throughout the year, the Kennedy Science Olympiad Team has been working hard on their events, of which they are many under each category. 

In December, they visited Neuqua Valley High School for Invitationals. In March, they went to College of Dupage to compete at a regional level. The team placed 2nd overall so the varsity team was able to move onto the state level at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where they competed against 49 other teams.

The state round was held on April 13th. This event had a lot of competition. The day was very fun, but also exhausting for the team, having to navigate around the large campus.

The Kennedy team placed 12th out of 50 teams. Easton Ours and Mohammad Khan placed 2nd in Mystery Architecture, an event where each team is given a bag of building materials and must design and build a device that will be tested.

Kennedy also placed in 2 trial events, Pentathlon and Ornithology. These events are separate and are considered to end up as events in the future.  

Annabelle Zhang and Anay Apte placed 3rd in Ornithology. This is an event that tested the team on their knowledge of birds.

Helen Liang, Subash Skamthakumar , Eric Gu, and Ethan Czech placed 4th in Pentathlon. This event was both academic and physical. It tested the team on their understanding of the five major Science Olympiad content areas.

This was the last competition of the year for the Kennedy team. Overall, the 2018-2019 Science Olympiad year was very fun, and the teams worked diligently on all of their events.