The 2019 Grammys In-Review

Boris Rokhmanov, Feature writer

The Grammys are awards given to artists for exceptional singles and albums in an extravagant and well-hyped ceremony. This year’s Grammys were, however, one of the most unorthodox shows in recent history.

This year’s host was the prominent singer-songwriter Alicia Keys, a 15-time Grammy winner. As she talked about the importance of love and music, many female figures made an appearance, including a surprise visit from former First Lady Michelle Obama.

The nominations for the Grammys this year were also unusual, heavily featuring rap and female artists. Kacey Musgraves took away the top prize for her album Golden Hour, Cardi B became the first solo woman to win Best Rap Album for Invasion of Privacy, and Childish Gambino’s single “This is America” won 4 awards, including Song and Record of the Year. Also, rapper Kendrick Lamar had the most nominations with 8, many for his role in compiling the iconic soundtrack of the well-received Marvel movie Black Panther. Post Malone won a nomination for and performed his single “Rockstar,” though without accomplice 21 Savage, who appears on the feature of the hit. 21 Savage was detained by United States ICE agents on February 4th, but was later released after the Grammys. Influential artists won many awards that night.

As stated, Kacey Musgraves won the Album of the Year for Golden Hour. In her acceptance speech, Musgraves stated that she didn’t expect so much “love, such warmth, such positivity,” and that “it seriously means the world to me.” She also said that “[she] love[s] country music with everything that [she is].”

During Cardi B’s acceptance speech, she apologized during the speech with “I’m sorry. I just, oh the nerves are so bad.” She then went on to say how stressful recording the album was, especially with a baby on the way. She thanks her husband, rapper Offset, and her daughter Kulture for making the album possible.

Artist Dua Lipa won the Grammy for the Best New Artist. At her speech, she criticized Recording Academy President Neil Portnow. Portnow, last year, said that female artists need to “step it up.” She thanked her fellow female award recipients, saying that women “really stepped up,” as a retort to Portnow’s previous insensitive remarks.

At one point in the ceremony, Drake accepted his Grammy for “God’s Plan,” his hit that won Best Rap Song. Drake was cut off mid-speech after he stated his own opinion on popularity. He said that the Grammy award was really not so important and that people buying an artist’s concert tickets and listening to their songs is enough validation. However, just as Drake was addressing this, his microphone got cut and the advertisements started rolling. This was largely perceived as the Grammys’ disapproval of his comments.

The 2019 Grammys Ceremony was quite a spectacle, featuring many unusual performances, nominations, and artists. While this year’s Grammys are already past, one can hope that the future will bring even more songs, albums, and other compositions worthy of awards.