2nd Chorus Concert

Easton Ours, Opinion writer for "Behind-the-Scenes"

The Kennedy Junior High Chorus, a group with members from 6th to 8th grade, had their second concert of the year at Kennedy on the night of Tuesday, February 12th. Thirteen songs were sung in total, with 6th, 7th, and 8th grade each singing four songs. In addition, the Kennedy Singers, an extracurricular group of chorus singers from all three grades, sang one song. The concert was announced by Mr. Valek, Kennedy’s principal, and Mrs. Wukitsch, one of Kennedy’s music teachers, conducted the concert, and played the piano for some songs.

The theme of the concert, musicals and movies, was expressed in a variety of songs between the three grades, such as songs from various pop culture movies and musicals such as The Little Mermaid, James Bond, and Wicked. The concert ran through the three grades in ascending order, finishing with the Kennedy Singers singing The Sound of Silence, by Simon & Garfunkel.

The eighth grade chorus sang the following four songs in order, “Shining Hour” from the motion picture The Sky’s the Limit, “Anthem” from the musical Chess, “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” from Monty Python’s Spamalot, and “For Good” from the Broadway musical Wicked. Some highlights from the 6th and 7th grades were “Friend Like Me” from Aladdin, the James Bond Theme, and “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” from Mary Poppins.

For the third and final concert, the theme is set to be “The 60s,” containing songs spanning the 60s of various centuries. The eighth graders will be selecting a song on their own to sing at both the third chorus concert and the Moving On ceremony at the school year’s conclusion.