Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review

Mohammad Khan, Opinion Editor

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Rating: ★★★★☆

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an unexpected take on a movie featuring Marvel’s classic hero, Spider-Man. Animated, unlike any major Marvel movie in the past, the film taps into different versions of the same hero, which is something else viewers haven’t seen before from the movie-producing giant. In all honesty, the movie exceeded all of my expectations for a seemingly childish Marvel movie.

Into the Spider-Verse follows Miles Morales, a gifted student struggling to live up to the expectations of his family. When Miles goes to his uncle Aaron’s house to escape his troubling home and school life, him and his uncle set out into a unused subway tunnel to put up graffiti. There he is bitten by a radioactive spider and develops his own, unique Spider-Man powers. Later, when he goes back to investigate the spider, he finds that it is gone. What he does find, in fact, is the original Spider-Man, Peter Parker, fighting Green Goblin and other famous villains. Peter discovers that Miles too has Spider-Man powers, and entrusts Miles with a USB that will shut off Fisk’s machine and save the city from obliteration when Peter is cornered. Then, Miles helplessly watches Peter die at the hands of Wilson Fisk. Days later, Miles meets other spider-people from alternate dimensions, including another Peter Parker, and teams up with them to defeat Fisk and save the city.

The risk that Marvel took to make this kind of movie was immense, as it was something they haven’t attempted ever before, but as we’ve seen, the reward was immense as well. With a unique kind of animation, Marvel has finally brought their comic-book personality to the big screen with this movie. The only factor that prevented it from being a 5 star, in my opinion, was that the beginning dragged on too long and it took too much time for the real content to begin. Aside from that, the movie’s biggest merit was its art. The art, meticulously created second-by-second by artists, outshone the spectacular plot, cinematography, and even its humor. In fact, each second of the movie took a week to complete by the artists, demonstrating the massive amount of time and effort that was taken to create a movie this powerful. All in all, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a fantastic film.