Chicago Shakespeare Trip – Macbeth

Sruthi Kotlo, News Reporter

“Double double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble” is a well known quote that many know to be from Shakespeare’s Macbeth. The interesting play includes tragedy as well as witches and murder. As a Panther (and now Phoenix) tradition, the 7th and 8th graders will go to Navy Pier to see a Shakespeare play. Last year, the Panthers saw A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and this year they will get to see the performance of Macbeth.

The titular character Macbeth is a loyal and brave Thane to the king. He hears a prophecy about him becoming king and turns greedy for this power. He follows the prophecy and his wife encourages him to overthrow the sitting King Duncan. Macbeth commits multiple murders to gain power. His belief in the prophecy causes him to suffer,  and the people he mistreated ultimately depose and kill him.

Macbeth shows a constant betrayal and violence that takes place in a man’s itching need to gain power. It shows what people will do to gain power, how they abuse it, and the aftereffects of guilt.

Both the 7th and 8th graders on the Phoenix team will be going to see Macbeth on March 11th. They will board a bus to go to the Chicago Shakespeare Theater and watch the play. The students will dress nicely to watch the play and eat lunch afterwards. For previous years this has been a field trip that the students in PI+ have loved and is entertaining and interesting to watch.