On Track

Jessica Huang and Ria Pande

The end of the school year is on track now, and track is coming up too! Track will start with a meeting on March 5, and practices beginning on the twelfth. It is a great opportunity for athletes to get involved with the Kennedy Community, and boost school spirit. Many Phoenixes are participating, and most them are beyond excited!

Rohin Gopalka, an eighth grader on the Phoenix team is “excited to be a leader this year” as he participated last year as a seventh grader. Jerry Luo, another eighth grade Phoenix believes that track “makes [them] better”. Ivy Chen told us “[she’s] excited to do [track] again this year. It’s clear that the students are excited, and the coaches are too!

With the first meet coming up on April 3, the athletes must prepare for “really long” competitions, according to eighth grader Louisa Zhang, who added that track is “really competitive” as well. She informed us that once a meet lasted until 8 in the evening, and by that point, she was exhausted. However, some athletes enjoy the competitions. Kathryn Hu is one of them. She “likes to beat [her] [friends]”, as it “boosts [her] self esteem”. Both girls attended track last year, and intend on participating this year.

Already juggling school work and other pressures, these dedicated athletes are ready to fight their way to victory.