December – Kulik Classroom News

Cherlin Ng, News Reporter

This next month of December will include some routine things and some new projects for the eighth grade Phoenixes before they take their much anticipated winter break.

Currently, in Language Arts, students are in the middle of reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. They will finish the book by winter break, and begin writing the body paragraphs of a literary analysis on it. On the last week before break, students will watch the movie adaptation of the book, and see how they compare. The Phoenix team had also taken a break from poetry in the last month and a half but will resume this December. Mrs. Kulik is planning to include a sonnet in this poetry unit, but that hasn’t been decided yet. For now, she thinks that the students will learn about sonnets in January.

The globalization unit will be continuing in Global Studies classes this month. This includes the pros and cons of globalization and world trade. Students will also be tracking the journey of a T-shirt (planet money makes a T-shirt) and learning the “real cost of cheap fashion.” Political cartoons will also be used in this unit.

Mrs. Kulik will definitely be keeping her students excited before their coveted winter break!