The Final Set

by Jessica Huang and Ria Pande

The Final Set

By Jessica H. and Ria Pande

While all around Kennedy Junior High School, students might have prepared for their upcoming tests, vocab checks, or reassessments as the first trimester draws near. But, our volleyball team has played the final set of the season.

The volleyball season is coming to an end, but our phoenixes are at the spike in their performances. And the volleyball players have enjoyed it every step of the way. Helena Ilic, a member of the Phoenix team said of her experience as an athlete, “It’s pretty lit. It’s helped me learn how to have good sportsmanship, and I’ve learned the value of teamwork.” Our Kennedy eagles are in first, they even won the tournament. Helena said before the games.  “It would be disappointing if we lost.” Helena also divulged that they always brought grapes to each meet. Yep! The unlikeliest good luck charms, grapes!

Whether the grapes helped or not, Helena’s team did win the tournament, and Mrs. Schumpf couldn’t be more pleased. “We had a very good season we had a lot of good and hardworking kids who made the season the best.” After climbing up the ladder of success, they had made to the top with a strong last game resulting in a win. “I was thrilled. We had worked hard every school day, and all of our hard work paid off. We couldn’t have won without each other,” says Helena. Volleyball has clearly given Helena many valuable memories, as well as life skills that will stay with her throughout her life.

With the end of another season, the coaches hope that their girls have learned from their experience. Mrs. Schlumpf, the 7th grade coach told us when asked what she hopes her athletes have learned, “The love of the game, the competition, that it can be fun.” Mrs. Fedderly, the girls’ 8th grade coach thinks that too, but also hopes that they can apply it in real life.

The first trimester is almost over, and all around Kennedy Junior High School, students are taking their final tests and doing homework assignments. Meanwhile, the volleyball teams will have done these things and more; they played a final set and won.