Winter Sports

by Ria Pande

The autumn sports fall like leaves, as the winter sports create a winter wonderland. Volleyball, football, and cross country have concluded, but basketball, cheer and wrestling are now here.

Some of our very own Phoenix students have tried out for the basketball team. “Super competitive. Coaches made us do some tough drills,” said Zach Wu of the tryouts, “We had to run a lot. There were a lot of guards trying out for the same positions and it was a pretty contentious race, but all the guys were really supportive and friendly.” The first basketball game will be on the twelfth, which is just a week away. However, they are working hard with Mr. Hollander, Mr. Klein Collins, and Mrs. Scott, practicing every day of week. With hardwork like that, the basketball team seems to be off to a great start.

In addition, cheer has officially begun. Like basketball, there is a tryout process in order to get into cheerleading. Taught by Mrs. Harper, and Mrs. Mikicich, the process consists of going to the Kennedy homepage and signing up, then, on two days, those who’d like to try out go to cheer clinics. There, they teach a routine for the candidates to learn and practice. Afterwards, they come in and tryout, performing the routine. Because cheer is a cut sport, not everyone can have a spot. Sometimes, there are exceptions. For example, in the 2017-18 season, there were enough spots on the team for everyone who tried out to be let in.

Three W’s; one for winter, one for winning, and one for wrestling. Wrestling is starting on November 7th and, although no 8th grade Phoenix are a part of it, there are still many 7th and 8th graders who take part in this, together with coaches Mr. Serbinski, and Mr. Danaiata. Taking raw strength, and adding technique, wrestling is certainly an important section of the Kennedy winter sports.  

Competitions have not started, but we know they’ll have a phenomenal season.